Saturday, September 30, 2017

Technology: Part 1 - Topic 5

Technology: Part 1 - Topic 5
http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg
http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg



After reading The Victorian Internet and watching "The Day the Universe Changed", I learned that new technology results in new problems to solve.  There is always a huge enthusiasm for it to FIX problems of the world, but it also CREATES new problems.  This is, of course, based on whatever the new technology may be.  I learned that in The Victorian Internet, the invention of the telegraph led to a rise in issues such as an overload of communication, a dramatic rise in global drama, and an increase in wartime/military strategical implications.  Never before had society ever experienced a problem with telecommunication lines being overcrowded with messages or battle plans being altered by conversations spanning multiple countries, but times change.  Technology may expand your level and range of communication and cooperation, but it also shrinks the world, sometimes resulting in tension and arguments.  Finally, I learned that human nature is human nature, regardless of the technology that is present.  People abused the new form of technology in the past, and they'll continue, unfortunately, to abuse it in the future.  


I know that just as symbolic tools have cognitive consequences, ALL new technology has consequences as well and it's our job as teachers and facilitators to learn to regulate and manage these tools in our classrooms.  New technology can increase the abstractness of the world.  Because it can take us further and further away from direct experiences, I now know that it's extremely important for us to teach students how to relate and apply technology to these concepts and direct experiences.  The example of cash vs. credit really stuck with me.  On another note, going back to the point of "human nature is human nature (regardless of technology)--the way it plays out does" (hacking, identity theft, negative online activity, etc...), I know now, even more than ever, that teaching ethical decision making should be a top level priority.  When it comes to using new technology in the classroom, we have stress the importance of the question, how can we choose and use wisely?

In class this week, we were asked to create an infographic to drive home an important point for educators to consider when it comes to using technology in their classrooms.  Emily and I related the purpose of our infographic to a problem that audiences across the world are attempting to highlight--Common Sense Media.  With all of the problems that technology presents in today's day in age, I want to teach students the importance of using technology for POSITIVE reasons.  There are so many fantastic uses for technology, but, unfortunately, some students can't see past the negative consequences such as cyberbulling, plagiarism, or hacking.  According to a recent survey, which we included in our infographic, close to 40% of the younger generation polled thought the internet was scary.  I want to teach students in my school the importance of Common Sense Media and I will continue to do that when I push into a classroom for a lesson or when I am working with a small group of students in the library for an enrichment project.  The conversation can't stop.  It has to be an ongoing process.  I have had the chance to teach about 10 Common Sense Media lessons this year, and each lesson has focused on a different element of the curriculum.  Technology is a powerful tool, but "with great power, comes great responsibility."  I want to make this message extremely clear to the students at my school.      



5 comments:

  1. I agree with you that Digital Cititzenship is a top priority. Since acquiring the position of TRT 2 years ago, I lead my school to become certified in Digital Citizenship because it was urged by the district administration. After our discussion in class, I really see the importance of it. Our students will take advantage of the benefits of technolgoy but need to be ethical. Just like in all areas of their lives. We have always taught good citizenship all along and now, we need to apply it to our digital and global environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “How can we choose and use wisely?” This is an important question for me. I use a lot of technology in class but haven’t always use the right tool or use it effectively. There were times where I looked at technology as a cute way to teach a concept rather than a powerful tool to achieve a learning goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am fascinated with the results of that poll. I would have thought they would see technology as a resource (a place to look stuff up, play games, find answers). Your mission is valid and your are in place where you can share this with all of the students you come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your question How can we choose and use wisely? opens the path to affordance analysis. I had to face the same some of the same issues that Jon mentioned. I have tried to use technology just to make it part of my instruction, forcing it to fit into my goal. If I go through a reflecting process analyzing the consequences of technology and "choosing wisely" it will have a real impact on my teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I approach digital citizenship, I typically pose the following question to my students: “would you take that action with someone if they were in the same room”? Students should understand that technology is a tool, and that etiquette that exists in face to face interactions should also be carried online. I think that this also goes hand in hand with teaching students that computers were not made for privacy.

    ReplyDelete

The App Generation

The App Generation http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg Recently, I read the book titled T...