When it comes to the learning principle, there are many
different thoughts that come to my mind.
I have learned that design processes, as mentioned in the ABCS of
activity, AeCTS, and SPD, should shape meaningful learning experiences for
students. As a teacher, you have to
realize certain patterns so that you can help students make sense of information,
which leads to them making meaning. I
know that from our discussion, Dr. Norton targeted these patterns and she broke
them down into four parts to help us better understand the texts we’ve been
reading. With regard to Vygotsky, there
are 6 main components of Mind in Society that we discussed. To begin, I’ll highlight “culture” and “tools”. I think it’s important to mention the fact
that students have to learn through the context of the culture in which they’re
present. I know that in certain
cultures, tools may have different uses and/or functions so you have to relate
the information to your audience. Also,
teaching concepts is equivalent to teaching tools. Students learn best by using tools in the
context of the culture by “doing”. First
hand learning experiences that involve socializing, problem-solving, authentic
activities, meaningful technology, etc… are more genuine and effective. Application of material to the real world is
vital, because students have to be able to contribute in their communities in
ways that allow them to be a significant member of society. Next, I’d like to discuss “language”, another
key component of Vygotsky. I learned
that assigning symbols helps shape perception (language). Dr. Norton stated that, “Language is thought,
and thought is language.” When a baby is
learning a language, he/she draws attention to important features vs.
non-important features to help shape categorization, attention, and
memory. Labels may be shaped by a
culture, but they’re impacted by meaning.
We discussed that as a culture brings us symbolic tools, and we
understand their true meaning, we internalize it. This is another key part of Vygotsky’s
principles. When we internalize
information, we use tools separate from what they stand for, we make them our
own, and we use them for our own thinking.
I like to think of this as reflection.
I know that when I internalize things, and I reflect, I am more likely
to make sense of certain notions and then I can utilize them for greater
purposes. We use tools in new and unique
situations and this leads to higher psychological function. Complete thought, complex thinking, and
interactions coming from having a mind in society allows thought to
develop. I learned that we bring these
thoughts and understandings within ourselves and our minds. Finally, I will emphasize “play” and the “zone
of proximal development”. With the Zone
of Proximal Development, students progress across tiers from “I can’t do it” to
“I know it, I can do it, and I can use it independently.” This occurs via modeling, coaching, and
fading for all new learning experiences.
In the past, when I was a classroom teacher, these tiers of students were
defined by the data that I collected and the observations that I made as an
instructor. One essential facet of this
discussion that all teachers have to remember is that play is learning and “work”
is application. A worksheet is not is
not meant for learning a concept, but for applying what was learned. You can’t expect students to learn a concept
by simply placing a worksheet in front of them, because they need to experiment
and learn by “playing” with a tool.
Students need time to discover and investigate new standards and then
they can see what they can do with certain rules or tools in various
situations. In a given hour of
instruction, a majority of the lessons I presented to students involved 10 min.
of direction instruction and 50 min. of “playing” with the material so they
could take away more from the materials and it would be more pertinent to them. With all of this in mind, I believe there are
a few things that will definitely influence my practice in the future. I want to analyze generalizable knowledge and
the structures, processes, and discourse related to specific SOL’s. I want to start doing this so that I can
target the general skills students will need to complete more extensive
projects that relate to OttW, PBL, Loudoun Creates, or other authentic learning
experiences. I want to encourage
meaningful thinking, but I have to take the time to design these situations
beforehand so I get students to where I want them to go with their
learning. I have jumped into projects
much too early before, because I get excited about the possibilities, and then I
end up having to pump the breaks. I
enjoyed breaking down the standard of “weather vs. climate”, and then
determining the appropriate discourse (ex. putting students in the position of
a landscaper/home designer in areas of various climates so they could apply their
understanding of both standards to their “occupation”). I’ll bring this up with my coaching
conversations in the next few weeks.
Lately, I have developed coaching relationships the new Loudoun Creates
teachers in my building so I’ll communicate this idea to them so they can also
encourage “play” when it comes to using different movie-making apps (but with
an end goal in mind). I’m looking
forward to seeing how this works out!
Your post is a great summary of the Learning Principle. I enjoy reading your post because they are so relevant to me. We have the same job title and in each school in LCPS, the job looks different. I like to read what you did in your teaching practice and what you are doing in your school. I look forward to comparing and collaborating with you more as we move through this course.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you know what engages students and are well on your way to impacting how others teachers think about lesson delivery and planning.
ReplyDeleteVygotsky Mind and Society was a dense read with many concepts that lay the foundations for good design. I think you summarized the key elements, and I agree with you about jumping into projects and then having to slow down. Part of designing is indeed coming with exciting ideas but then going through the design principles and steps to make it really meaningful and Authentic.
ReplyDeleteYour analysis of Vygotsky also speaks to the need for collaboration. Permitting students to collaborate allows the to learn “in society”. Indeed, when students play with a tool, they can often learn more if collaborating with a partner. In a sense, working with peers can be a step towards independence. Perhaps a collaborative element is something that we should consider when thinking about modeling, coaching and fading.
ReplyDelete“I want to analyze generalizable knowledge and the structures, processes, and discourse related to specific SOL’s.” I think if all educators look at the SOL’s through this lens student would have a greater understanding of the material and be able to think through their exams.
ReplyDelete