Sunday, November 26, 2017

The App Generation

The App Generation
http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg
http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg




Recently, I read the book titled The App Generation, by Howard Gardner and Katie Davis.  I learned that new technologies impact students, and people in general, in 3 distinct areas:  identity, intimacy, and imagination.  With respect to identity formation, “...apps can short circuit identity formation, pushing you into being someone else’s avatar.”  Often times, kids may go into college with an unrealistic plan, as if they have their lives all mapped out in a super-app.  Also, these days, narcissism is at an all time high with 30-40% of ordinary conversations being self-focused and 80% of social media posts being self-focused.  Not to mention, many people’s posts these days are glamorized, not reflecting their true identity, which causes others to think differently about themselves.  Regarding intimacy, “...apps can facilitate superficialties, and discourage face to face confrontations and interactions…”  In 1985, the average number of discussion partners reported by Americans was 2.94 and by 2004 this number had dropped to 2.08!  “The number of people reporting that they talk to no one about matters they consider important to them rose from 10% in 1985 to 25% in 2004.”  Unfortunately, recent polls have also shown an increase in the amount of cyberbullying and racist/sexist language on the internet…  Finally, with respect to imagination, “apps can make you lazy, discourage the development of new skills, and limit you to mimicry…”  Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking have shown drastic changes over the years, with large drops in scores of elaboration, fluency, originality, and creative strengths.  Certain writing studies have also shown decreases in originality and creativity.  Yes, new technologies can enhance students’ abilities to demonstrate strong skills but we as educators have to teach students to utilize these tools to work through elements of the PICKLE via the ABCS and AeCTS.  We have to teach students to respect these new technologies, while using appropriate features of SSCCS and NetSmart/Information Diet qualities.  I have noticed that the students that I work with often become comfortable with taking the easy way out and they want to know what it takes to “get an A.”  They are less interested in being creative or demonstrating unique ways of thinking, almost as if they’re lazy.  The books we’ve read lately have supported this observation and the fact that the app generation of students live their lives within the structure of apps themselves.  I have been teaching students to think outside the box while using these apps that they love to create content that is original and well thought out.  These students need to be pushed to use technology efficiently, but they also need to be taught how to use technology to generate ideas effectively.  There have been many instances where students have had a tremendously difficult time coming up with unique project ideas and they always get stuck on the same old products that they’re used to creating.  I want to slowly but steadily change the thinking process that students are used to using and I want them to understand how to use the amazing resources out there such as InfoBits, Scratch, iMovie, or Scholastic Go (just to name a few) for a wider array of project ideas that align with the PICKLE.  I plan on teaching students to use these resources for authentic projects creation. 

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about "breaking students out of the structure of the app," and "thinking outside of the box" made me revisit a concern I have for many kids: they don't GET OUTSIDE enough! There's not an app for that! (Pokemon Go doesn't count, sorry.) It certainly is far from the only issue, but I wonder if kids had devices taken away more often & were forced to experience playing in nature for extended, frequent amounts of time, how different might things be? Maybe not so different, but I doubt we'll get to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not just students, but us teachers, too, get caught up in that same old routine! Doing the same thing year after year. Going way back to the Saber Tooth Curriculum, we must remember that change is constant and we must adjust to our students' needs. In this day and age, the app generation.

    There certainly is a lot of power with apps! We can use many of them for our benefit, we just have to show students the ways to turn their devices and plethora of apps from toys into something beneficial.

    ReplyDelete

The App Generation

The App Generation http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg Recently, I read the book titled T...