Information Ethics and Copyright
![]() |
http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg
|
This week, I learned a lot about Copyright Clarity. It was pretty eye-opening to read about how
fair use supports digital learning! I
was surprised by some of the facts mentioned in the book, because it changed
the way I was used to thinking about things.
In a way, I was left feeling energized because of the concept of fair
use and how it applies to us as educators.
Often times, teachers feel hindered by copyright laws (or their
interpretation of them) and it can prevent amazing things from happening within
the classroom. As mentioned in the book,
teachers are scared by the specifics of the charts and graphs notifying what
you can and can’t do, but, in the end, it matters if/how you or your students
transformed the content in a fair-use manner.
The U.S. Constitution says that the purpose of copyright is to promote
the spread of knowledge and innovation and Renee Hobbs points out that, “At the
heart of copyright law, the doctrine of fair use states that people have a
right to use copyrighted materials freely without payment or permission, for
purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and
research.” As long as students are
creating new material out of old material, that’s what counts. That is what promotes critical thinking in a
new age of digital innovation.
These concepts mean a lot, in my opinion. Teachers need to understand the true meaning of
fair use and what it means to them. We
need to develop a different mindset and “instead of hiding our students’ work,
we need to open the classroom door.” (Renee Hobbs) There are so many resources out there, and
reasoning and judgement have to come into play. You sometimes have to ask the question, “Does
the specific use of copyrighted works benefit society more than it hurts the
copyright holder?” (Renee Hobbs)
Teachers, along with students, need to clarify the meaning of fair use
to today’s day in age so that meaningful learning experiences can take place in
the classroom. If you discourage your
students from using certain multimedia materials when they could possibly be
used in transformative ways, “the full potential of 21st century
literacy is diminished.” (Renee Hobbs) Creative
work should not be limited to closed audiences if it is altered creatively
though innovation.

I agree that it was an eye opening read. I think that it opens the door for our students and teachers if we spread the word and clarify fair use and transformativeness.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you that about how the meaning of copyright needs to be explained and interpreted in the classrooms. It is great that from your position you can shed some light on this issue at your school. I still feel that when I share this information with my colleagues, they look at me in disbelief which reinforces the notion that the concepts of copyright and fair share need to be discussed more often.
ReplyDeleteAs I’ve noticed on the blogs of other members of our cohort, this topic relates nicely to the other parts of the PICKLE. In particular, you point out that sharing and using shared content benefits society. I think that this is a great example of community participation. The Internet (and in more general terms, technology), provides students and educators with many opportunities for collaboration. The beauty of the Internet is that this participation can be scaled to fit the local community or the global community.
ReplyDeleteSince you are an IFT, have you considered giving a presentation to your school about copyright? I bet it would be much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteThis book gave me the same sense of freedom. I'd like to hear how your presentation goes, if your co-workers believe you or if they still snip and clip in fear.
ReplyDelete