http://slworkshop.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/train-of-thought.jpg
My first train of thought is centered on the notion of design.
Prior to attending class this past week, I had always thought that
planning and designing were basically the same thing. However, after
having discussed the two, my understanding has completely changed. To
begin, I have to rewind back to the overall title of our program, Designing
Digital Learning in Schools. Of course, digital learning should involve
the use of engaging technology, but it should not be planned out, rigid, or
confined. Instead, it should be designed and innovative, leaving
students the ability to create and apply their knowledge in unique ways.
I learned that when it comes to designing learning opportunities, you
have to think about design practice. This design practice, which allows
teachers to consider various circumstances such as the 4 P's, forces one to
consider "before action" principles. After reading two
separate articles, one dealing with designing learning and one dealing with
planning learning, I began to search for key differences between the two.
I found that when designing learning experiences for students, a
teacher's "aha moment" may in fact be the spark that lights the
fire for student imagination. These are the carefully thought out
design plans that put students in the best positions to succeed.
|
Knowing this, it's important to consider the role
that technology plays in your classroom. In order to extend the
possibilities for student engagement, one must design opportunities for
students to relate the information they've gained to projects and problems
pertinent to their own lives. Designing a classroom environment that
allows students to think on their own and outside the box will to prepare the
next generation for the future. It also gives students the skills and
traits necessary to be meaningful contributors to society. Sometimes, a
lesson "plan" leaves the teacher and his/her students tied down in
ways that prevent learners from using their own distinct visions.
Alternatively, letting students be creative, critical-thinkers through
various forms of collaboration and communication provides them the necessary
preparation for life after high school and college. After evaluating
important purposes of 21st century education mentioned in the websites we were
asked to review, I discovered that many important themes were presented time
and time again. Many similarities existed, such as the importance of
inquiry-based instructional design, the deepening of student understanding, the
reinforcement of problem solving skills, and the need for flexibility and
adaptability.
So, now what? How will this influence my own
practice? Well, I will definitely try to put students at the center of
the learning process. I want to present students with authentic, problem
solving situations that allow for voice, choice, and reflection. When I
work with groups of students in the library, or I push into the classroom, I
want to teach students to use technology in ways that will deepen their level
of thinking. I also want to teach students to use technology to
communicate their messages to others, both near and far. The students
should be the creators and the innovators, not me. Highlighting their
ideas and strengthening the purpose of their learning will be my focus as I
move forward as an educator.
|
|
"I want to teach students to use technology in ways that will deepen their level of thinking." This statement sums up my whole my purpose for choosing this program. It is way too easy to put children in front of a screen and assume they their engagement is meaningful. I have seen technology become a double edge sword just like the articles we read in our first class. One teacher planned scripted lessons with IPads and the other designed a lesson where students demonstrated their knowledge through podcast.
ReplyDeleteI know! I'm part of the Loudoun Creates Trailblazer team and I've learned so many awesome things you can do with an iPad besides sitting a student down and having them complete math problems via Dreambox or Reflex. As the ABCS of Activity mentioned, "Building knowledge does not mean avoiding facts, but primacy is given to the kinds of activities that connect these facts into webs of meaning." You can still tie in the necessary material to fun stuff!
Delete"These are the carefully thought out design plans that put students in the best positions to succeed." This quotes make me thing of the ideal graduate protocol we completed at a PD during the start of this school you. We silently completed a list of what we thought the ideal grad looks like today. We came up with characteristics like motivated, kind, tech savvy, an effective communicator, etc. I think when we look at designing education we have more opportunities to teach the whole student to be sucessful.
ReplyDeleteYour statement about how students should be the creators and the innovators and not the teacher reminds me of times that I have planned lessons I thought were creative and original to later realized they did not allow STUDENTS to BE creative and original. I could spend hours developing material that seemed innovating, but that led students to use it traditionally. I keep reflecting that another factor of designing is going beyond the aesthetics or the paraphernalia. A simple and clean design that leads students to build their learning is much more successful that one that shows the teacher skills but doesn't allow learners to develop their own.
ReplyDeleteYour point about voice, choice and reflection in the classroom is well taken. I think that these elements are important for developing citizens who are ready for the “problems of tomorrow”. Citizens who don’t use their collective voice, don’t know how to make an informed choice, and don’t know how to reflect on past choices will not be ready for new challenges. This is precisely the pit that we are encouraged to avoid in the Saber-Tooth Curriculum. After all, pits are best used for catching bears.
ReplyDelete